The object of the JUC is the promotion, development and coordination of the work of higher education institutions in the pursuit of education, training and research in public administration, social policy and social work. Today, the JUC represents the vast majority of higher education institutions in the UK in teaching and researching in these fields.
Separately, and together through the JUC, the PAC and SWEC seek to promote their subjects, and the Universities in which they are taught and researched, by:
- developing close relations with government departments, professional bodies or institutes and other policy-making bodies;
- providing a national forum for discussing matters of mutual concern;
- funding and underwriting activities, such as collaborative research, workshops, seminars, conferences and journals;
- disseminating information to member institutions and their staff;
- promoting awareness of the applied social sciences amongst schools, careers services and employers;
- fostering contacts with international academic, professional and inter-governmental organisations.